Confidentiality is an important part of the legal process.
Legal Services Available Through HALP
Community Legal Services' HIV/AIDS Law Project (HALP) assists individuals living with HIV and AIDS to lead lives of greater independence and self-determination. CLS staff provide the highest-quality civil legal assistance to the HIV-infected community of Maricopa County.
A referral from an HIV Service Agency case manager can facilitate the CLS eligibility application although it is not necessary to apply through an outside agency. To determine if you are eligible for legal assistance from HALP, you can apply for services directly through Community Legal Services.
HALP does not handle criminal legal matters. Civil legal matters are handled through the Volunteer Lawyers Program in Maricopa County. Services include brief advice, assistance with self-help tasks and when appropriate, referrals to volunteer attorneys for representation in court.
HALP assists with legal issues such as:
- Debt collection and creditor harassment
- Bankruptcy; Chapter 7 if applicable
- Estate Planning, Financial and Healthcare Powers of Attorney / Living Wills and Last Will and Testament
- Housing; private and public landlord tenant
- Employment discrimination
- Social Security
Referrals are available for the following legal areas:
- Personal injury
- Medical malpractice
Other services include:
- Homebound/hospital visits for clients unable to travel
- Free notary service to clients
- Community lpresentations for legal education; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information, advice and referrals available to people affected by HIV/AIDS