CLS’ tax program educates people about their rights and responsibilities and assists tax payers with IRS related controversies.

Through a grant from the IRS, our Tax Program at CLS helps clients in two significant ways:

  • Assisting clients who have controversies with the IRS. We assist individuals who are being audited and/or have been audited by the IRS. This may include taxpayers that have tax debts and may be subject to liens and levies. We also assist individuals who do not receive their refunds, such as the Earned Income Credit and the New Homebuyers Credit. Other problems in which we assist are ID theft, Tax Preparer Fraud and Injured and Innocent Spouse claims.

  • Outreach for limited English proficient persons. CLS offers information on their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers and makes referrals to agencies that will help prepare tax returns.

Community Legal Services does not prepare tax returns. You may be eligible for free tax preparation. Please click the following link to see if you are eligible and to find the closest clinic near you:

Find the FREE tax preparation location nearest you:

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

Renters in Arizona may be eligible for a property tax refund

If the taxpayer was an Arizona resident for all of 2016, age 65 by December 31, 2016 or an SSI recipient, she/he may be eligible for a property tax refund on the property tax he paid toward rent.

To see eligibility requirements, please click here:

Thinking about a short sale, but have a tax lien? We can help.

Please download and complete the form below, and have your short sale provider gather:

  • The reason for the discharge of the tax lien (short sale)
  • A description of the property
  • A copy of the purchase and sale agreement
  • A new appraisal by an independent third party
  • A statement that the seller will receive no proceeds from the sale

Additional Information

  • If it has been more than 90 days and you have not had a response or resolution to your IRS issue, contact
    Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS)  •  602-636-9500 (Arizona)  •  877-777-4778 (National)
  • If you need to prepare your prior year tax returns, contact United Way Mesa  •  480-834-2113
  • If you live in Pinal County or Southern Arizona, please contact Taxpayer Clinic of Southern Arizona  •  520-622-2801
  • If you received a notice indicating your right to file a U.S. Tax Court petition, please follow this link for access to forms: