Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

Relief for Taxpayers Affected by Ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic

Below is IRS-related information regarding COVID-19. As you may know, the IRS has provided a grace period of 90 days for those that owe money to the IRS this year. However, taxpayers must still file their returns by April 15th.

The IRS established a special webpage on IRS.gov/coronavirus to include all of the available tax-related information. This page will be updated as more information is available.

Treasury News Release:  Treasury and IRS Issue Guidance on Deferring Tax Payments Due to COVID-19 Outbreak

Those with questions or need for  more information should contact Treasury Public Affairs at press@treasury.gov or call 202-622-2960.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC)

CLS’ Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) educates people about their rights and responsibilities and assists taxpayers with IRS-related controversies, as well as assisting with other issues. We also help taxpayers with economic hardship applications, including payment installment agreements, currently non-collectible statuses, and offer in compromises.

Need to amend your return? Here is a video to help you:


Did you know?

Tax Program Success Rate
0 %
Total Financial Impact
$ 0 .00
0 %
Percentage of CLS Clients Who Decreased Debt

Typical Tax Program Issues

CLS may be able to help taxpayers with IRS-related issues.

  • Tax Audits
  • Liens and Levies
  • ID Theft
  • Tax Preparer Fraud
  • Innocent Spouse claims
  • ESL Outreach

Can't Pay Your Taxes?

Why It’s Still Important to File Your Tax Return


What if I get a notice from the IRS?

What to Do If You Get a Notice from the IRS


Are You a Member of the Military?

You May Be Entitled to Certain Tax Benefits


Still Need to File 2018 Returns?

Still Need to File 2018 Returns?


“Do you need access to these documents in a language other than English? Please email us at info@clsaz.org

About the CLS Tax Program

Through a grant from the IRS, our Tax Program at CLS helps clients in two significant ways:

Assisting clients who have controversies with the IRS

We assist individuals who are being audited and/or have been audited by the IRS. This may include taxpayers that have tax debts and may be subject to liens and levies. We also assist individuals who do not receive their refunds, such as the First-Time Homebuyer Credit. Other problems in which we assist are ID theft, Tax Preparer Fraud and Injured and Innocent Spouse claims.

Outreach for limited English proficient persons

CLS offers information on their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers and makes referrals to agencies that will help prepare tax returns.

Community Legal Services does not prepare tax returns.

You may be eligible for free tax preparation. 


Answers to the most frequently asked questions.

I got a call from someone stating they are the IRS. Is this legitimate?

IRS rarely calls. And, the IRS will never call you without sending a letter first. If you haven’t received a letter, and you received a phone call, it is likely a scam. Hang up and do not provide them any information or payment. For more information on scams and how to report them, click here.

What do I need to do to amend my return?

Be sure to identify the year of the return you’re amending at the top of the form. Normally, you can only go back three years. 

Amended returns can only be submitted by mail, not electronically. If you are submitting more than one return, you must prepare a separate 1040x for each year. Make sure to use separate envelopes. Double check the address to make sure you are sending it to the correct IRS location depending on where you live.

If you are filing for an additional refund, wait until you get your original refund before filing the 1040x.

There is no need to amend your return because of math errors. The IRS will check it for you.

You can download the 1040x from irs.gov.

I owe taxes, but can't pay. I've heard of an Offer in Compromise program. What is it?

If you can’t pay the full amount of your taxes all at once or through a payment agreement, you may qualify for an offer in compromise. An offer in compromise is an agreement between you and the IRS to settle the tax debt for less than the full amount you owe. In order to be eligible, you need to have all of your back taxes filed (even if the IRS filed for you) and you will need to file and pay your taxes on time for the next five years. If this is something you are interested in, please contact CLS.

I got an email from the IRS that says I am due a refund/I am owed money/they will put money in my account. Is this legitimate?

NO! The IRS will never contact you through email. They are not permitted to. Do not click on the link or open an attachment. Clicking on a link or opening an attachment could download malicious software on your computer. It could also allow the sender to access your bank account or your passwords. Then they can steal your identity or money.  Any IRS email is a scam. Report the scam to phishing@irs.gov

find additional help

Resources & Information

Tax Preparation Assistance

Need help preparing your tax return? The Mesa Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program prepares tax returns free of charge for low and medium income families and individuals.

VITA Schedules and Locations

Download Phoenix and East Valley VITA schedules and locations.

Overwhelmed with Federal Tax Debt?

Try this calculator to see if you might qualify for a negotiated settlement of this prior debt for some tax years.

IRS Tax Scams and Consumer Alerts

How to know it’s really the IRS calling or knocking on your door, and recognizing the telltale signs of a scam - online and off.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility. Skip to content