Housing Law

CLS assists low income Arizonans obtain safe, decent housing.

CLS assists low income Arizonans obtain safe, decent housing. The agency empowers future and current tenants and homeowners through education, legal representation, brief service, and community partnerships.

Front door knob and keys


Did You Know . . .

Total number of eviction lawsuits filed in Maricopa County in 2017
CLS Financial Impact
$ 0
Just keeping a roof overhead costs 37.8 million American families 30% or more of their income every month
0 %

Housing Issues

  • Preventing evictions
  • Preserving public housing and subsidized housing such as Section 8 Vouchers, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), and supportive housing
  • Ensuring decent, safe, and habitable housing, including necessary repairs
  • Assisting families affected by domestic violence and sexual assault in terminating leases and preventing eviction
  • Preventing housing discrimination against tenants and homebuyers
  • Preventing foreclosure by mortgage lenders, HOAs or tax lien holders due to financial hardship
  • Assistance in recovering excess proceeds after a home foreclosure

Is your rental unsafe or in need of repair?

A/C Repair

What to do if your air conditioning is broken
opens in a new window DOWNLOAD opens PDF file

Are you being evicted?

What to do if you receive an eviction notice.

Tenants’ Rights, Responsibilities and Remedies
opens in a new window DOWNLOAD opens PDF file

Is your house being foreclosed?

Foreclosure and Other Housing Issues

Information regarding foreclosures, title disputes, and trustee sales
opens in a new window DOWNLOAD opens PDF file

What is Fair Housing?

Fair Housing

Fair Housing (housing discrimination) information
opens in a new window DOWNLOAD opens PDF file

“Do you need access to these documents in a language other than English? Please email us at  opens in a new windowinfo@clsaz.orgcreate new email


Answers to the most frequently asked questions.

I am being evicted. Where can I find free self-help materials?

Visit Legal Info Videos: Landlord/Tenant Disputes & Eviction – Residential

I have been served with an eviction lawsuit. Where can I get the forms that need to be filed with the court to defend the lawsuit?

Visit the Justice Court website:

I have received notice that my housing subsidy, housing choice voucher, or public housing is being terminated. What should I do?

You have the right, if requested in time, to ask for a meeting with your property manager or hearing with the public housing agency.  Many disputes can be worked out. However, if you do not ask for a meeting or hearing on time, you may lose your rights. If you receive a termination notice, we suggest that you immediately contact CLS for assistance.

I have a problem with the quality of my rental housing. Do I have the right to withhold my rent payment until the landlord fixes the problem?

No.  Under Arizona Laws, withholding rent in the majority of cases is grounds for eviction.

My family is a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault and will need to move for safety reasons. Can I break my lease without financial consequences or ruining my credit?

Yes. The law (ARS § 33-1318) allows for domestic violence victims to terminate their lease agreement if they provide the landlord with written notice and a copy of a police report or an Order of Protection within thirty (30) days of the abuse. You are only liable for rent owed or paid through the date of the lease termination plus any previously outstanding obligations. The landlord may ask for additional information, such as the name and address, if known, of the perpetrator. 

I think I am being discriminated against or being denied an accommodation for my disability. What can I do?

Housing discrimination, or refusal to accommodate a disability, may be a violation of both state and federal Fair Housing law.  To report housing discrimination or denial of an accommodation, contact:

My home sold at foreclosure for more than what was owed to the foreclosing lender. Do I have any rights to the excess monies?

find additional help

Resources & Information

opens in a new window Arizona Attorney General - Civil Rights Division

Submit a Fair Housing complaint directly to the Arizona Attorney General.

opens in a new window U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Notify Housing and Urban Development (HUD) about unfair housing practices and housing discrimination.

opens in a new window Arizona Department of Housing

Find information about apartment rentals, an Arizona foreclosure helpline, Fair Housing information, homeless assistance agencies, Section 8 housing programs, special needs assistance, and more.

opens in a new window Recreational Vehicle Long-Term Rental Space Act opens PDF file

The Recreational Vehicle Long-Term Rental Space Act was enacted to govern long term rentals of spaces located in Arizona RV Parks and the rights and obligations of landlord and tenant.

opens in a new window The Mobile Home Landlord & Tenant Act opens PDF file

The Mobile Home Landlord & Tenant Act was enacted to govern the rental of mobile home spaces in which the resident owns his home in a Arizona mobile home park.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility. Skip to content